Saturday, May 31, 2008

I Saw Samuel L. Jackson Today

I saw Samuel L. Jackson today on 42nd Street, posing for a picture with a fan. It looked like they were in front of a theater – probably promoting an upcoming movie.

He was smiling, seemed happy enough to be there. I’m not sure who is taking the picture, but across from him are five or six people armed with low-grade digital cameras.

It’s too late to go around the photogs. I’m in their midst with a throng of pedestrians tailing me. I can’t just “stop short” and turn around. I make a truly half-assed attempt to duck and turn around mid-stride, my face contorted into an apologetic “my bad.”

They don’t seem to notice or care and were focused intently on the famous actor five feet in front of them.

I decide to look back at Samuel L. Jackson for a couple more seconds, you know, to drink in the moment. It was definitely him. Pretty cool.

It was about that time that I noticed he wasn’t talking to the person requesting the photo. And there was a really short line of people there, considering the circumstances. He also hadn’t moved much, if at all during the fifteen seconds this all transpired.

I glance up to see the name of the theater. It was then that I considered wearing glasses again, as the name “Madame Tussauds Museum of Wax” appeared overhead. I took a deep breath, pondering my own mental faculties and curious if I was going to tell anyone about this.

No comments: